Weather is unpredictable and your trees feel the stress of changing weather more than you might think.
During times of high, forceful winds, pay attention to these signs of wind damage:
• Leaning to one side, away from prevailing wind direction
• Splits at a weak fork
• Broken or splintered branches
During times of heavy rains or flooding many trees will be slow to show symptoms. Therefore, it can be difficult to assess if there is damage or what the damage is. Look for these tell tale signs of tree stress from waterlogged soil.
• Yellowing and early drop of some leaves
• The early onset of autumn color and full leaf drop
• Small leaf size
• Dead twigs and leaves at the ends of branches
There's more to come on how trees deal with severe fluctuations in weather conditions. Check back this week for more on tree care during unsettled weather.