The Importance of Using Mulch
- Mulch insulates the soil helping to provide a buffer from heat and cold temperatures, which here in Illinois, we know about extreme temperatures all too well!
- Mulch retains water helping to keep the roots moist.
- Mulch keeps weeds out to help prevent root competition.
- Mulch prevents soil compaction.
- Mulch reduces lawn mower damage.
Here are some steps to Adding Mulch Around Your Tree. These steps can be followed by a novice, however we recommend contacting a professional tree service to mulch you trees and plants. Trees "R" Us, Inc. has a sister company that can help you. Organic Solutions Inc., formerly Mulch Master, specializes in mulching with premium organic mulch of many varieties. Our professional staff can help you decide what kind of mulch is best for your trees and plants. Follow the directions below, or give us a call and we'll help you get the job done right.
- Add mulch to the base of your tree by removing any grass within a 3 to 10 foot area depending on the size of your tree.
- Pour natural mulch such as wood chips or bark pieces 2 to 4 inches deep within the circle.
- Keep the mulch from touching the trunk of the tree.